Updated as of March 2017
Types of Information Collected and How We Use It
Involuntarily-Collected, Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Visitors to this site can access the home page and browse this site without disclosing personally identifiable information, such as name, address, email address, and/or phone number. However, we do automatically track information provided to us by your browser, including the web site you came from, the type of browser you use, the time and date of access, and other information that does not personally identify you. We also gather limited information about you that is automatically collected by our web server, such as your IP address and domain name. These types of automatically collected information form log files.
Voluntarily Submitted, Personally Identifiable Information
If you submit personally identifiable information to us from this site (for instance, if you are a healthcare provider and you submit information in the “Request a Rep” section), we will use your personally identifiable information as set forth below in “How We May Use Collected Information.”
How We May Use Collected Information
We may use both personally identifying and non-personally identifying information we collect on the site in a variety of ways in providing and operating our business, including the following:
- We use the information that we collect on the site to operate, maintain, enhance and provide all features of the site and our business, to provide services and information that you request, and to respond to comments and questions.
- We use the information that we collect to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, and to develop new products, services, features, and functionality.
- We may use your email address or other information we collect (i) to contact you for administrative or other business purposes or (ii) to send marketing communications, including updates on promotions and events, relating to OTIPRIO. We will provide you with the ability to opt out of marketing communications. If you are a healthcare provider and provide your personally identifiable information to us for purposes of requesting a visit from a sales rep, we will use your information to fulfill that request.
- We also may use your information as may be described in a notice to you at the time the information is collected, or in any other manner to which you consent.
In addition, we may conduct research on users’ demographics, interests, and behavior based upon information you provide during use of our site. We may combine your information with information collected from other individuals to produce anonymous, aggregated statistical information that will not include personally identifiable information. We may use this aggregated information for our business purposes. We may also share this anonymous, aggregated information with third parties doing work for Otonomy.
Disclosing Collected Information
Storage of Personally Identifiable Information
- Any information that you voluntarily choose to include in a publicly accessible area of the site.
- We work with third party service providers to provide website or application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services for us. These third parties may have access to or process your information as part of providing those services for us. Generally, we limit the information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to agree to maintain the confidentiality of such information.
- We may make certain automatically-collected, aggregated, or otherwise non-personally-identifiable information available to third parties for various purposes, including (i) compliance with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, or services.
- We may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. copyright law), in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies.
- We also reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (i) take precautions against liability, (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, (iv) protect the security or integrity of our business and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available, or (v) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others.
- We also may disclose your information as may be described in a notice to you at the time the information is collected, or in any other manner to which you consent.
- If you are a healthcare provider and you provide your personally identifiable information to us for purposes of requesting a visit from a sales rep, we may disclose that information as may be useful to us to fulfill that request.
Email that you send and personally identifiable information included in that email is stored on our mail servers. Otonomy uses reasonable physical, managerial and other technical measures to ensure we use your information consistent with this policy.
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make reasonable efforts to ensure security on our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical or managerial safeguards.
If Otonomy learns of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using this site or providing personally identifiable information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of this site. Otonomy may post a notice on our web site if a security breach occurs. If this happens, you will need a web browser enabling you to view the Otonomy.com web site. Otonomy may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
Once you have sent an email that includes personally identifiable information to Otonomy, we will store until deleted and maintain the personally identifiable information you have volunteered in accordance with our internal policies, so long as (1) you have not directed us to delete it, or (2) we are not required by law or court order to store the information for a longer period of time. Of course, you can always contact us via an email from this website in order to (1) remove the personally identifiable information that you have provided to us from our systems or (2) update the personally identifiable information that you have provided to us. We will use reasonable efforts to comply with such requests for deletion of your personally identifiable information from our actively used databases as long as there is no law, regulation or court order that requires us to do otherwise or if in our sole judgment doing so would jeopardize Otonomy rights or the rights of others.
Visitors should be aware that it is not technologically possible to remove from servers each and every record of the information you have provided to Otonomy. The need to back up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of your personally identifiable information may exist in a non-erasable form or in form that will be difficult to completely erase. We will use reasonable efforts, upon receiving your request, to delete your personally identifiable information either stored in the databases that we actively use for research and daily business activities or stored in other readily searchable media.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children. This site is not directed at children under the age of 13. If we learn that a child under 13 has provided personally identifiable information on this site without their parent or guardian’s consent, we will delete such information from our active databases in accordance with the policies described in the Storage of Personally Identifiable Information section above.
Information that we collect may be stored and processed in the United States or in another country in which we, our agents, or our affiliated businesses maintain operations. By using our products, services, and this site, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country.
Merger, Sale or Bankruptcy
In the event that Otonomy is acquired by or merged with a third party (or otherwise in connection with a sale of Otonomy’s assets), we may, in any of these circumstances, sell or otherwise transfer the information we have collected. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your personally identifiable information is treated, transferred, or used. Therefore, you should know that in such event, your personally identifiable information may be treated like any other Otonomy asset, and sold, transferred or shared with third parties, or used in ways not contemplated or permitted hereunder, without notice to you or your consent.
No Error-Free Performance